HORN LAKE BOYS 72, SOUTHAVEN 65: Kylen Pernell paced the Eagles to another victory with a 27-point performance in the victory over the Chargers. Horn Lake again took charge early with a 24-11 lead after one quarter. Pernell scored 12 of his total in the opening quarter, with six points coming from beyond the arc. However, Southaven rallied in the second quarter and cut the Eagles’ lead to 41-35 at halftime.
In the second half, the Chargers grabbed the lead, outscoring Horn Lake 19-12 in the quarter for a 54-53 Southaven heading into the final eight minutes of the game. RD Dunley found the range for two three-pointers and eight points in the quarter, while Ian Jeffries added another six points.
The Eagles came back in the fourth quarter by outscoring Southaven 19-11 for the victory, as Pernell scored three baskets for six points and John Randle added seven points to seal the win.
Randle and Kyren Pernell each scored 13 points for the Eagles. Kam House paced the Chargers with 23 points, followed by Jeffries with 16 and Dunley with 14.
HORN LAKE GIRLS 59, SOUTHAVEN 35: Indiya Bowen’s 20 points led the Lady Eagles past Southaven. Bowen and the Lady Eagles immediately took charge, taking a 20-9 after one quarter. The Southeast Missouri State recruit scored 10 of the 20 points in the quarter, six of which came from outside the three-point arch.
The Horn Lake lead increased to 39-18 at halftime, as Bowen added another six points in the quarter. The lead became 55-26 after three quarters as Shantoria Riley notched five of her eight points after intermission.
Fran Kelly added 10 points for the Lady Eagles in the victory. Merelana Sandifer led Southaven with 13 points and Anaria Lee added 10.
Friday DeSoto County high school scoreboard:
Friday, Jan 20
Prep boys basketball
- Horn Lake 72, Southaven 65
- Horn Lake: Kylen Pernell 27, John Randle 13, Kyren Pernell 13
- Southaven: Kam House 23, Ian Jeffries 16
- South Panola 63, Hernando 56
- Hernando: Derrell Tate 16, Tommy Brown 13, Eric Oliver 12
- DeSoto Central 47, Center Hill 37
- Olive Branch 74, Lewisburg 46
- Lewisburg: Amarion Davis 12
- Olive Branch: Trey Wall 19
- Cleveland Central 50, Lake Cormorant 43
- Evangelical Christian 56, Northpoint Christian 53
- Northpoint Christian: Christian Gilliland 16
Prep girls basketball
- Horn Lake 59, Southaven 35
- Horn Lake: Indiya Bowen 20, Fran Kelly 10
- Southaven: Merelana Sandifer 13
- Center Hill 65, DeSoto Central 61 (overtime)
- Center Hill: Madison Bush 19, Zarria Shipp 12
- Lewisburg 60, Olive Branch 30
- Lewisburg: Allison Irby 15, Allie Carroll 14
- Olive Branch: Joriah Lawrence 13
- Cleveland Central 57, Lake Cormorant 44
- Evangelical Christian 32, Northpoint Christian 30.
- South Panola 62, Hernando 52
- Hernando: Damyia Cummings 26
Class 6A girls playoffs-first round
- Germantown (Madison) 3, DeSoto Central 0
COACH TIP MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM: Lewisburg High School renamed its high school gymnasium in honor of its late basketball coach Adam Tipton before Friday’s game against Olive Branch. In a ceremony before the girls’ game, the gymnasium has been named “Coach Tip Memorial Gymnasium.” Tipton passed away after a brief illness just before the start of the season. He assumed both boys’ and girls’ coaching positions last season and was about to start his second season in that capacity when he passed away.