The Mississippi Secretary of State’s Office is seeking high school seniors with a passion for leadership and state government to apply for the agency’s newly-created Student Ambassador Program. The program aims to increase voter education and registration among youth and encourages students to engage in Mississippi civics.
Components of the program include:
- A fall summit in Jackson focused on the state’s elections process.
- A spring summit in Jackson focused on the state’s legislative process.
- Virtual trainings and educational sessions with Secretary of State (SOS) representatives and various government officials.
- Participation as a poll worker on Election Day.
“The SOS Student Ambassador Program is a great opportunity for young leaders to cultivate their affinity for public service and expand leadership skills,” said Secretary Michael Watson. “We are excited to take part in the development and growth of the next generation of Mississippians and look forward to providing a greater understanding of one of our greatest liberties, the right to vote.”To be considered for the SOS Student Ambassador Program, students must meet the following criteria:
- High school senior during the 2022-2023 academic year
- Grade Point Average of 3.0 or above
- Proven satisfactory behavioral conduct
- Strong interest in state government and service
The deadline to submit an application is May 15, 2022. Applications may be submitted via email to ExternalAffairs@sos.ms.gov, hand-delivered, or mailed to the Secretary of State’s Office at 401 Mississippi Street, Jackson, MS 39201 to the attention of the External Affairs Division.