Senate weekly report – Jan 20, 2023
Credit: Mississippi Senate Press Office
In the third week of the Legislative Session, Senators continued to work on drafting bills as they met the Jan. 16, 2023, midnight deadline for introduction of general bills and constitutional amendments.
The next deadline is Jan. 31, 2023, for committees to report general bills and constitutional amendments originating in the Senate.
As of Friday, 850 bills, resolutions and nominations had been filed and more are expected. Appropriation subcommittees continue to host budget hearings for 2024 Fiscal Year agency budget requests.
Senator Jenifer B. Branning and Senator Rod Hickman on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023, led the presentation of Senate Concurrent Resolution 525, Senate Concurrent Resolution 525, honoring the 2022 Louisville High School “Wildcats” Football Team and Head Coach Tyrone Shorter for winning the 2022 MHSAA Class 4A State Championship, and finishing the season with a 14-1 record and being ranked 6th in the Mississippi High School Football rankings.
The Louisville Wildcats completed the season by recovering a fumble and kicking a 27-yard field goal in the final 30 seconds of the 4-A Championship game on December 2, 2022, in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, to defeat Mendenhall by a score of 17-14.
On Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2023, Brandon High School’s competitive a cappella ensembles – Brilliance, the girls’ group – and B One Nine, the mixed group – performed in the state Capitol Rotunda and met President Pro Tempore Dean Kirby.
The Senate on Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2023, passed a Rules calendar that paid homage to outstanding Mississippians, former public servants, and Senators. Those include:
- • Senate Concurrent Resolution 501, honoring the public service of David Richard Huggins, former Mississippi Highway Patrol Chief, Commissioner of Public Safety, and former Sergeant At Arms for the Mississippi Senate.
- • Senate Concurrent Resolution 502, honoring the life and legacy of Dick Hall, former Mississippi Department of Transportation Commissioner, Senator, and Representative.
- • Senate Concurrent Resolution 503, mourning the passing of former Senator Steve Seale, and commending his public and charitable service.
- • Senate Concurrent Resolution 504, mourning the loss and commending the life and public service of former Representative Noal Akins.
- • Senate Concurrent Resolution 505, commending the public service of Southern District Transportation Commissioner Tom King, Chair of the Mississippi Transportation Commission, who will not seek re-election after his term expires. Commissioner King has served as a Senator and Representative.
- • Senate Concurrent Resolution 511, mourning the loss and commending the public service of Forrest Co. Tax Collector, former Supervisor and Senator Billy Hudson.
- • Senate Concurrent Resolution 515, commending the life of former Senator, Circuit Judge and Decorated WWII Veteran Thomas Frederick (Fred) Wicker, father of U.S. Senator Roger Wicker.
- • Senate Concurrent Resolution 519, extending sympathy of the Legislature to surviving family of MSU Football Coach Mike Leach and paying tribute to his legacy.
- • Senate Concurrent Resolution 524, mourning the passing of former Representative Billy Nicholson and commending his public and charitable service.
The Senate will have committee meetings throughout the next week to discuss proposed legislation, and host budget discussions.