Mississippi News

Sardis man sentenced to prison for illegal gun possession

Credit: U.S. Attorney’s Office – Northern District of Mississippi

A Sardis man has been sentenced to more than 15 years in prison for illegal possession of a firearm.

According to court documents, Jamaal Ellison, age 40, was stopped by an Oxford Police Department officer for speeding in January of 2022, but fled the scene in his car. Ellison crashed the car into a pole and attempted to flee on foot but was apprehended by the officer. Officers found a Glock.40 caliber pistol and ammunition in Ellison’s vehicle along with illegal narcotics, and Ellison admitted possessing the gun. Ellison, who had previously been convicted of multiple felonies involving the sale of narcotics, was sentenced pursuant to the Armed Career Criminal Act, which provides for a minimum sentence of 15 years and up to life imprisonment.

During a sentencing hearing, U.S. District Judge Sharion Aycock sentenced Ellison to 188 months in prison and five years of supervised release.

“Our communities should be able to expect that repeat felony offenders will face real consequences, and that those consequences will be heightened when that offender illegally possesses a firearm,” said U.S. Attorney Clay Joyner. “This office will continue to work with partners like the Oxford Police Department, the Lafayette County Metro Narcotics Unit, and ATF to ensure that those consequences exist for criminals in the Northern District of Mississippi.”

“The sentence imposed today sends a message to the community that career criminals will be held accountable as we work to keep our neighborhoods safe as a top priority for ATF,” said ATF New Orleans Special Agent in Charge Joshua Jackson. “Sending a violent individual like this to prison is another example of our commitment to work tirelessly to protect our communities and hold accountable those who threaten our safety.”

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives investigated the case in partnership with the Oxford Police Department and Lafayette County Metro Narcotics Unit.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Kim Hampton prosecuted the case.