Mississippi to pay $5 million to cover cost of childcare vouchers for about 800 waitlisted kids
By Sophia Paffenroth | Originally published by Mississippi Today
The Mississippi Department of Human Services on Wednesday set aside $5 million to pay for a childcare program in crisis for over a year.
That funding would cover vouchers, or coupons that make childcare more affordable for low-income families, and the money would be enough to provide for about 800 children. Over 6,000 families remain on a waitlist for these vouchers, according to the department.
“Childcare is not a luxury – it is the infrastructure that makes work possible for Mississippi families,” said Bob Anderson, executive director of the department, in a press release.
Anderson called the investment “targeted,” “responsible” and said it reflects the department’s “commitment to deploying public resources where they make a real difference.”
This move comes a month after lawmakers failed to appropriate any money toward childcare, despite pleas from early childhood educators who are going without salaries and providing free care for thousands of families that have been on the voucher waitlist over the last year. For years, the childcare voucher program relied upon pandemic-era federal funds that dried up in early 2025.
The additional $5 million comes from a pool of unspent money from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program – a spending solution advocates proposed a year ago.
In 2025, MDHS officials said it was not possible to use more federal TANF money than the state already devoted to childcare. Currently, Mississippi transfers the maximum 30% of TANF funds to the state-run voucher program.
However, advocates pointed to other states that have legitimately and successfully steered additional TANF funds to child care vouchers without interfering with the 30% limit. In January, state officials changed course and said they were exploring the model’s viability.
Carol Burnett, executive director of the Mississippi Low-Income Child Care Initiative, address the Mississippi Legislative Black Caucus during a hearing on how the federal budget bill impacts Mississippi families, Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2025, at the State Capitol in Jackson, Miss. Credit: Eric Shelton/Mississippi Today
One of the most vocal advocates who has been calling for this funding is Carol Burnett, executive director of the Mississippi Low-Income Child Care Initiative. Burnett described this development as a “fabulous move in the right direction” and said while the amount of money is low compared to how much is needed, it establishes a precedent.
“It’s a development to celebrate because it sets something in motion that we can build on as we move forward,” Burnett told Mississippi Today Wednesday. “There was no way we could build on it until DHS agreed they could do it. And now that happened.”
The agency is taking a “fiscally conservative stance” on this initial investment, Mark Jones, director of communications at the state Department of Human Services, told Mississippi Today.
“In October, MDHS will make consideration of a future increase,” Jones said.
This article was originally published by Mississippi Today and is republished here under a Creative Commons license.
Source: Original Article





