Photo: Lewisburg’s Brianna Kimbrell (18) tries to maneuver through Clinton defenders with teammate Briley Ross at her side in Saturday’ 6A North Half championship game at Lewisburg. Kimbrell scored Lewisburg’s only goal in the 3-1 loss. (Bob Bakken/desotocountynews.com)
The Clinton Lady Arrows derailed Lewisburg’s hopes of playing in a MHSAA 6A state championship game Saturday afternoon with a 3-1 North Half finals victory on the Lady Patriots’ pitch.
Clinton (14-6-2) got goals from juniors McKenzie Price and Cooper Pletzke, along with a marker from sophomore Kris Crisler, in advancing to Monday’s state championship game against Gulfport, which won the South Half with a 2-1 victory over Ocean Springs. Clinton would attempt to take both state titles in 6A soccer, after the boys won the state championship with a 2-1 conquest of Brandon.
The Lady Arrows took a 1-0 lead in the first half with a goal coming with 15 minutes remaining in the first 40-minute period of play.
Clinton made it 2-0 with 32 minutes left in the second half on a penalty kick, but Lewisburg seemed to get some life after Brianna Kimbrell’s header cut the deficit in half to 2-1.
“We got a little more momentum and started to play more of our game, but unfortunately, we didn’t have enough time,” said Lewisburg coach Scotti Miles. “That’s the way this game works sometimes.”
The Lady Arrows got a clinching goal with 11 minutes remaining when a rebound off the crossbar was then booted back into the net for the goal.
“These girls came out and played with everything they had,” said Miles. “The seniors were true leaders. It didn’t end the way you wanted it to but I’m glad we got to do it together.”
The Lady Patriots (17-2-1) finished as region champions and were not scored upon in region play. Briley Ross set school records for goals scored and Kennedi Turner set assist records during the season.
PREP NOTES: Hernando and Olive Branch split their basketball games on the rescheduled Throwbackd Night contests Saturday in celebration of Black History Month. Wearing uniforms representing African-American high schools Hernando Central and (Olive Branch) East Side High, the Hernando girls edged Olive Branch 52-51 on a last-second layup by Halann Wallace. JayLyn Tyler led four Conquistadors in double figures with 14 points as Olive Branch’s boys stopped Hernando 76-57. Tommy Brown led Hernando in scoring with 14 points.
SATURDAY PREP SCOREBOARD
Prep boys basketball
- Olive Branch 76, Hernando 57
- Olive Branch: Jaylyn Tyler 14, Trevor Joyner 11, Javion Stephen 11.
- Hernando: Tommy Brown 14
- Horn Lake 73, Lake Cormorant 45
- Horn Lake: Connor Simms 20, Kylen Pernell 19
- Lake Cormorant: Dalen Anderon 8
- Lausanne Collegiate 59, Northpoint Christian 46
- Northpoint Christian: Christian Gilliland 20
Prep girls basketball
- Lausanne Collegiate 62, Northpoint Christian 48
- Northpoint: Davie Ann Stinson 15, Nailah Herrera 13
- Hernando 52, Olive Branch 51
- Hernando: Halann Wallace 11, Damyia Cummings 10
- Horn Lake 63, Lake Cormorant 22
- Horn Lake: Indiya Bowen 25, Fran Kelly 15
- Lake Cormorant: Taliyah Austin 6
Prep girls soccer – 6A North Half Championship
- Clinton 3, Lewisburg 1
- Lewisburg: Brianna Kimbrell 1 goal
NBA G League basketball
- Delaware 129, Memphis Hustle 120
- Hustle: Kenneth Lofton Jr. 31