Monday sports: Trojans throttle Crusaders to open baseball series
Photo: Sammy Chapman scored twice in the Monday, April 3 Northpoint Christian baseball victory over First Assembly Christian of Cordova, Tenn. (Bob Bakken/desotocountynews.com)
Northpoint Christian baseball opened a two-game conference series against First Assembly Christian School (FACS) Monday night with a 7-2 victory in Cordova. The teams meet again, this time in Southaven, Tuesday night, April 4, at 7 p.m.
Northpoint, last year’s TSSAA Division II-A runner-up for the second straight year, scored in each of the first four innings on its way to a 7-1 lead against the Crusaders, which rallied to score once in the sixth inning but couldn’t mount a further comeback.
Sammy Chapman and KL Farr both scored twice for the Trojans in the contest, and Chapman, Robb Hayes and Hudson Brown each had a pair of hits. JB Williams drove in a pair of runs.
Conner McKnatt was the winning pitcher for the Trojans, as he struck out six and walked seven in 5.2 innings of work, McKnatt allowed both FACS runs to score and gave up four hits. Farr finished up and allowed one hit while he struck out one and walked one.
“We had some good innings and some bad innings and inconsistency,” said Northpoint coach Stephen Kirkpatrick. “We were able to string together some two-out hits and when that happens, it’s going to do good things for you. It was a conference win on the road, so we’ll take it.”
Monday, April 3
- Southaven 12, South Panola 6
- Lewisburg 6, Center Hill 4
- Lewisburg: Kody Gilmore (2 runs, 2 hits), Easton Fesmire (2 hits), Austin Hannigan (2 hits, 3 RBIs), Cayden Baker (6 IP, 5 Ks)
- Center Hill: Houston Green (2 RBIs), Scott Green (5.2 IP, 10 Ks)
- Northpoint Christian 7, FACS 2
- Northpoint: Sammy Chapman (2 runs, 2 hits), KL Farr (2 runs), Rob Hayes (2 hits), Hudson Brown (2 hits), JB Williams (2 RBIs), Conner McKnatt (5.2 IP, 6 Ks)
- Hernando 2, Lewisburg 0
- Hernando: Olivia Higginbotham (2 hits), Kate Johnson (7 IP, 10 Ks)
- Northpoint Christian 15, FACS 3
First round MHSAA 6A team playoffs
- Lewisburg 4, Grenada 3 (Lewisburg plays DeSoto Central next on Thursday, April 6)
- At Saturday’s MHSAA 5A state powerlifting meet, Lake Cormorant’s Carlos Hicks won the 181 pound weight division with a total lift of 1,480 pounds. Eli Morgan was second at 148 pounds with a lift of 1,185 pounds, Josh Matheny finished second at 242 pounds with a total lift of 1,385 pounds, and Tyler Wallace finished second at 308+ pounds with a lift of 1,485 pounds. Five Gator powerlifters were among the top three finishers in their weight divisions. Lake Cormorant won the team title with 32 points to West Harrison and Brookhaven in second place at 25 points. The year’s Super 12 boys’ powerlifters included Landon Waddill of Hernando at 114 pounds and Hicks at 181 pounds. They were the state champions in all classes lifting the most weight in the competition.
- Center Hill’s Madison Bush Monday signed a letter of intent to play basketball next season at Trinity Valley Community College in Texas.