Desoto County News

Homestead Exemption applications to be received in January

Homestead Exemption applications will be accepted starting Jan. 3, 2023 at the DeSoto County Tax Assessor’s Office, 365 Losher Street, Suite 100, Hernando. The deadline to file is 5 p.m., March 31, 2023.

If you already have a Homestead Exemption, there are specific reasons you may have to reapply. You can call 662-469-8029 with questions.

What is a Homestead Exemption?
A Homestead Exemption is a special provision in the state’s tax laws that reduces the property taxes people have to pay on their primary home. Residents must apply for the program, it is not automatic. It is not necessary to reapply each each unless there have been certain changes in the preceding year. (See reapplication reasons)

Application Requirements
Applications for Homestead Exemption must be filed between January 1 and April 1. The 2022 deadline to file an application for Homestead Exemption is 5:00 PM Friday, April 1, 2022.

To apply for Homestead Exemption for the first time, you need to come to the Tax Assessor’s Office (365 Losher Street, Suite 100, Hernando, MS 38632) and bring the following:

  • A copy of your recorded Warranty Deed
  • Your Mississippi car and/or truck tag numbers
  • Social Security Numbers for You and Your Spouse if You Are Married
  • Birth dates for you and your spouse or all parties applying for homestead
  • Your closing or settlement statement
  • If you are over 65 years of age by January 1st of the filing year, bring proof of birthday to qualify for additional tax exemption.
  • 100% Disabled individuals qualify for additional tax exemption, you will need to bring proof of disability from Veteran’s Administration or the Social Security Administration.

Reapplication Reasons: If any of the following events have occurred, you will need to re-apply for your homestead credit by coming into the Tax Assessor’s office and signing a new application to update the records. If you do not re-apply reflecting these changes, you will risk the chance of losing your homestead credit. It is the responsibility of the applicant to update pertinent information regarding their homestead.

  • Did you get a divorce/separated recently? (Must bring Divorce Decree)
  • Did you get married? (Need copy of Marriage License)
  • Did you receive a property through a will or court order? (Must bring copy of will or court order)
  • Did you add, remove or change a name on your deed? If so, this becomes a change in ownership. Law states that if there is a change in ownership you must re-file your homestead to reflect this change. MS Code 27-33-31
  • Has the property (legal) description changed? Law states that you must re-file reflecting this change. MS Code 27-33-3
  • Has the occupancy of the homesteaded property changed? (you must re-file reflecting this change) MS Code 27-33-31
  • Are you 100% disabled American veteran? (This disability must be service related and you must bring paperwork that states this)
  • Death of a Spouse? (You do not have to re-sign a new application, but, you do have to verify with the Chancery Clerk’s office that you qualify for the same exemption that the deceased spouse was receiving at time of death.)
  • Please provide a death certificate of the deceased spouse, proof of age if you are over 65, and or disability paperwork if you are declared disabled. This information helps us determine if you still qualify for same exemption to keep you from having to sign a new application.) MS Code 27-33-3

Reasons of Denial: Below are some reasons your homestead will be denied by the Department of Revenue. If your homestead is denied you will be charged back the amount of credit you received and will be billed separately the following year.

  • Cannot owe Mississippi state income tax
  • Cannot have homestead on any other property in county or any other states; you must live full time on property receiving homestead
  • Claiming to be a resident of another state when assessed with income tax.

If you need further information, please call 662-469-8029.