Desoto County News

Nicaraguan National Pleads Guilty to Illegal Firearm Possession in Mississippi After Hernando Traffic Stop

OXFORD, Miss. – A Nicaraguan national living unlawfully in the United States pleaded guilty Thursday to illegally possessing a firearm after being arrested during a traffic stop in Hernando.

Victor A. Hernandez, 29, entered the plea before U.S. District Court Judge Michael P. Mills on Thursday, Aug. 28. Hernandez faces up to 15 years in federal prison at sentencing, which will be scheduled at a later date.

Traffic Stop and Arrest

According to court documents, Hernando police officers initiated a traffic stop after observing Hernandez commit multiple driving violations. During the stop, officers found a Smith & Wesson handgun, which Hernandez admitted was his.

Investigators later determined the firearm had been reported stolen from Tennessee. Hernandez was taken into custody and turned over to federal authorities.

An investigation by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) revealed Hernandez was unlawfully present in the United States at the time of the arrest.

Statements from Authorities

U.S. Attorney Clay Joyner, Northern District of Mississippi, said his office remains committed to prosecuting firearm violations, particularly involving individuals who are not legally in the country.

“The Second Amendment is a sacred right for American citizens. Those who are illegally in the United States are not able to enjoy that sacred right and possess firearms,” Joyner said. “The United States Attorney’s Office will vigorously prosecute those who illegally possess firearms. We thank ICE and the Hernando Police Department for their diligent work in investigating this matter.”

Scott Lewis, Acting Deputy Field Office Director for ICE in Memphis, joined Joyner in announcing the plea.

Case Background

The case was investigated by ICE and the Hernando Police Department. It is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney John Herzog Jr.

The prosecution is part of Operation Take Back America, a nationwide Department of Justice initiative aimed at combating illegal immigration, transnational criminal organizations, and violent crime through joint enforcement efforts that include Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN) and the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Forces (OCDETFs).

Bob Bakken

Bob Bakken provides content for DeSoto County News and its social media channels. He is an award-winning broadcaster, along with being a reporter and photographer, and has done sports media relations work with junior and minor league hockey teams. Along with his reports on this website, you will find this veteran media member providing sports updates and high school football play-by-play on Rebel 95.3 FM Radio.